Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,557
Default Centuri LIA-100 Launcher -- Deflector

I've got some Semroc MiniMax clones in the build que and one actual MiniMax kit that I want to build as well (I've been able to snag two Jaguars the past year). I've got other actual MiniMax kits, but the Jaguar is the only one so far that I have multiples of.

And about a year ago I was able to get the Centuri LIA-100 heavy duty wooden launcher from Penn Valley Hobby Center off ebay. It was the 'recommended' launcher for the MiniMax kits, and I like/try to do all things 'vintage' if I can.

Only problem was, the launcher I got from Penn Valley included the blast deflector from the smaller LIA-77 tripod launcher. It would be functional as a blast defector, but was not the one that was designed to go with the LIA-100. Looks almost the same.....the LIA-77 deflector is just smaller.

Now, maybe in the later runs of the larger LIA-100 launcher, Centuri may have changed over to the smaller LIA-77 deflector to save money. But I'm trying to find someone who may have the larger deflector for sale OR who can at least post photos or measurements of it.

As can be seen from the attached instruction scan from the LIA-100, it DID use a different deflector than the smaller LIA-77. The part number for the ignitor/deflector for the larger LIA-100 is "ID-100".

Any body got one they can lay their hands on?


Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LIA-100 Instructions.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  358.5 KB  
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 AM
stefanj stefanj is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,518
Default

Wow, that's quite a score! Probably not a whole lot of these were made, compared to other launchers, much less survived the ages.

What is the base plate made of? I recall reading that the smaller pad's plate was wood.

What is the triangular thing on the plate.

Good luck finding the larger igniter / deflector assembly.
__________________
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Wow, that's quite a score! Probably not a whole lot of these were made, compared to other launchers, much less survived the ages.

What is the base plate made of? I recall reading that the smaller pad's plate was wood.

What is the triangular thing on the plate.

Good luck finding the larger igniter / deflector assembly.

The baseplate I believe is masonite. The little triangular piece is what the launch rod sticks in to if I'm not mistaken.
I still have my original LIA-77 from '69.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The baseplate I believe is masonite. The little triangular piece is what the launch rod sticks in to if I'm not mistaken.
I still have my original LIA-77 from '69.


(home today with a five week old chest cold that will NOT leave. Asthma and chest colds do not mix I'm finding out....)

Yes, that's correct. The LIA-100 design and construction materials are pretty much the same as the smaller LIA-77, but about 1/3 again larger or so when compared to my LIA-77. Even the ignitor/deflector assembly is basically the same, but the one of the LIA-100 is definitely larger.

Both are dang sturdy designs, and while I have used a Centuri Powr-Pad for all my low power stuff for nearly 39 years (and an Estes Big Foot for a while back in the early 80s), I want to start using my LIA-77 and the LIA-100 for some of my more vintage flights, when I can make it out and fit in a flight here and there.

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM
foamy's Avatar
foamy foamy is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 1,109
Default

The first post on the second page (Rocketguy101) has a pdf pattern for both blast plates and there's lot's of good info/discussion on the launchers.

Did yours come with the asbestos plate?

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=LIA-100
__________________
Retro-grouch
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 AM
rocketguy101's Avatar
rocketguy101 rocketguy101 is offline
frustrated aero
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Duncan, OK
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
The first post on the second page (Rocketguy101) has a pdf pattern for both blast plates and there's lot's of good info/discussion on the launchers.

Did yours come with the asbestos plate?

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=LIA-100

that large deflector is NOT the deflector Earl is looking for, IIRC that is the Aerotech deflector. Earl and I have PM'd back and forth about this very subject. I wish I could get dimensions on the larger deflector, I would add it to the print!

When I saw this thread, I wondered if just scaling up from the base plate dimensions would be close enough? can you guys measure the base plates of both launchers, and I will see what a scaled-up deflector looks like...perhaps compare it to the catalog view??
__________________
David Stribling
NAR 18402 SR
But it is rocket science!
Get yer Barrowmans here
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
The first post on the second page (Rocketguy101) has a pdf pattern for both blast plates and there's lot's of good info/discussion on the launchers.

Did yours come with the asbestos plate?

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=LIA-100


No, I'm pretty sure the asbestos pad was only used in the smaller 'beginners' pad, the LIA-50 (the small square boxy one). I have a used one of those that I got in an old Centuri starter set off ebay some years back. But neither of my two LIA-77s or the LIA-100 came with an asbestos pad.

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I've got some Semroc MiniMax clones in the build que and one actual MiniMax kit that I want to build as well (I've been able to snag two Jaguars the past year). I've got other actual MiniMax kits, but the Jaguar is the only one so far that I have multiples of.

And about a year ago I was able to get the Centuri LIA-100 heavy duty wooden launcher from Penn Valley Hobby Center off ebay. It was the 'recommended' launcher for the MiniMax kits, and I like/try to do all things 'vintage' if I can.

Only problem was, the launcher I got from Penn Valley included the blast deflector from the smaller LIA-77 tripod launcher. It would be functional as a blast defector, but was not the one that was designed to go with the LIA-100. Looks almost the same.....the LIA-77 deflector is just smaller.

Now, maybe in the later runs of the larger LIA-100 launcher, Centuri may have changed over to the smaller LIA-77 deflector to save money. But I'm trying to find someone who may have the larger deflector for sale OR who can at least post photos or measurements of it.

As can be seen from the attached instruction scan from the LIA-100, it DID use a different deflector than the smaller LIA-77. The part number for the ignitor/deflector for the larger LIA-100 is "ID-100".

Any body got one they can lay their hands on?


Earl


In a photo dated 1978 I just noticed that I had two similar pads but I don't remember using either one of these. I always used my two FSI all metal pads for 3/16 and 1/4" lug rockets by this time instead since I was flying FSI and larger Estes rockets with conversion kits in high school.

Are these the LIA-77 and LIA-100 pads? One looks a little larger in the photo than the other. I kept all my blast deflectors in a rangebox so those are not in the picture.

I still have the rangebox in the attic but it hasn't been opened for years I may still have the deflectors but would need to check.

One pad may possibly just be stacked on top the other pad in the photo I really can't tell these could just be the same pad just two of them.

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  179.0 KB  
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,905
Default

That Dart on the far right looks like mine after the E9-8 CATO in Muncie a few years back.
LOVE this pic, btw. The vintage shots are great. Wish I had more than a crappy screen capture of mine.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Semroc SLS Scorpion, Semroc Squire, RDC V-Max

Ready to fly: Canaroc Green Hornet, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos, FRW Magnum Spartan, Centuri Stellar StarLifter, Estes World Federation Star Probe, Estes Astron Apogee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That Dart on the far right looks like mine after the E9-8 CATO in Muncie a few years back.
LOVE this pic, btw. The vintage shots are great. Wish I had more than a crappy screen capture of mine.


That was a clone Mach-1 Dart and Booster I built to use 21mm FSI stuff. I built a few of those and I think those were the last two that I did build. I belive it was an E5-6 that did it in with a D18-0 Booster. It cruise missiled across a four lane highway into an asphalt parking lot on the other side of the highway a pretty good distance away. Results weren't pretty but it was pretty cool to watch!

.
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018