Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
rkt2k1 rkt2k1 is offline
Just another BAR!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 131
Default Updated Design: Falcon Rocket Racer

I originally developed and submitted this design just prior to receiving Rocksim 9. With the latest version of the software, I was able to add some of the remaining design elements that I had originally envisioned.

In the updated design, I also used Rocksim's new pod feature to develop a more realistic approach for adding cockpits and windshields to a design. I modified the Mass and CG of the "cockpit" pod to reflect that only approximately half would be added to model.

Let me know what you think about the updated design.

Enjoy!

... Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update.PNG
Views: 74
Size:  124.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update with T-Tail.PNG
Views: 76
Size:  133.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Falcon Rocket Racer Update.rkt (104.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: rkt Falcon Rocket Racer with T-Tail.rkt (193.1 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 AM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,355
Default

Looks good, Bill. Something RockSim won't tell you is if the model will arch over backwards coming off the rod. You might want to balance out the drag with some additional fins opposite the tail feathers on both designs. I don't know right off how much fin area is needed, but I think it will need some.
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
rkt2k1 rkt2k1 is offline
Just another BAR!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Looks good, Bill. Something RockSim won't tell you is if the model will arch over backwards coming off the rod. You might want to balance out the drag with some additional fins opposite the tail feathers on both designs. I don't know right off how much fin area is needed, but I think it will need some.


Thanks Craig. I'm working on some stabilizer fins to balance out some of the drag. I have thoughts of possibly making this design utilize glide recovery in the future. The design inspirations (Rocket Racing League) planes have forward canards which I am also looking at incorporating.

Any feedback on the canopy design. I thought it came out pretty cool!

Thanks,

... Bill
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Thanks Craig. I'm working on some stabilizer fins to balance out some of the drag. I have thoughts of possibly making this design utilize glide recovery in the future. The design inspirations (Rocket Racing League) planes have forward canards which I am also looking at incorporating.

Any feedback on the canopy design. I thought it came out pretty cool!

Thanks,

... Bill


Canopy: See if it doesn't show up in other designs around here, Bill! I know how you did it without looking at the RKT file. I sent Tim & Paul a suggestion earlier about a "trim" feature for the hidden portions inside the main tube. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off.

Canards: Use a blow-out power pod, similar to the old Sky Dart, and have some canards spring-loaded to pop out at deployment. That will keep the canards from becoming a negative-stability issue during the power phase.
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
rkt2k1 rkt2k1 is offline
Just another BAR!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Canopy: See if it doesn't show up in other designs around here, Bill! I know how you did it without looking at the RKT file. I sent Tim & Paul a suggestion earlier about a "trim" feature for the hidden portions inside the main tube. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off.

Canards: Use a blow-out power pod, similar to the old Sky Dart, and have some canards spring-loaded to pop out at deployment. That will keep the canards from becoming a negative-stability issue during the power phase.


Yeah, a "trim" feature would be great. I simulated this by reducing the mass by half and manually entering component CG using the mass override feature. It would look great on a number of the jet designs you guys have done over the years.

I've actually been looking at the Sky Dart method of ejecting power pod. I may try to incorporate this into the design in the near future.

... Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018