Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
If you have some Alpha (1225) instructions that show that, please scan and post.

Part of what I'm going to do when I get closer to done with this whole Alpha 50th project is scan and post somewhere (Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe?) the whole sequence of Alpha instructions that show the evolution from model. eBay purchases are helping me to fill in the gaps, but between them and online scans of catalogs I still have some gaps in the chain and it is also hard to pin down when changes were really made.

Right now I have a pretty big gap - I'm guessing about 15 years - between the second version with the red/black livery - which has first appearance of the blow molded nose cone (1984 catalog) - and what is essentially the last US-made version in the late 1990s. This latter has the narrower-shaped blow molded white nose cone (and the big centering "cylinder" and the later style motor hook).

These kits that optionally would use the Alpha III cone would fall in that range where I have that gap, and the fact that I had to ask if they even existed means I've not seen one on eBay or otherwise in person.

So.....if you've instructions showing that nose cone option, again, please share .

Added: the instruction sheets that I have that bracket that time gap both show a blow molded cone (and in the older one, show removing excess flashing as well as opening up the eye for the shock cord) but give no part numbers for the nose cone (or any other part for that matter).


The Reveal: Or not - I forgot that these came in the bags with the illustrated back. I also misremembered where I got these. Turns out it was Toys-R-Us, not the hobby shop. Anyway, photos are below. I have an open one around here that I will scan the instructions from when I find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RedAlpha_1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  179.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RedAlpha_2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  247.4 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,376
Default

Looks like an injection molded Alpha III cone. Does it have the screw eye hole on the side like the Alpha III's? I wonder if the blow mold was damaged and they used these for a while as a stop gap measure.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:22 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,190
Default

....and that might also explain the change in the shape of the blow-molded cone from the one that was a dead ringer for a BNC-50K for the one that's narrower/tapers more immediately from the base that has been the shape for - well - well over half the Alpha's lifetime.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:24 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
The Reveal: Or not - I forgot that these came in the bags with the illustrated back. I also misremembered where I got these. Turns out it was Toys-R-Us, not the hobby shop. Anyway, photos are below. I have an open one around here that I will scan the instructions from when I find it.


Wow! If there is anyone out there who is really trying seriously to collect all Alpha variants, they would be salivating (even more than I am right now) over that one.

When you find the open one, if you'd also scan the face card (and it's back if there is anything there) I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'd also be interested in any identifying number or date off the back of the bag (usually the lower RH corner).
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
....and that might also explain the change in the shape of the blow-molded cone from the one that was a dead ringer for a BNC-50K for the one that's narrower/tapers more immediately from the base that has been the shape for - well - well over half the Alpha's lifetime.


Or ( says the cynic) it could have simply been to sell more Alphas: "Collect All Three!"
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,190
Default

I suppose.

Until Stefan suggested it last night (and you've now confirmed) I wouldn't have thought of there being an Alpha III cone in an Alpha kit. I've got to figure out how to describe this in my big spreadsheet....

tbzep has a plausible theory as to why that might have been done. Too bad there's no one left to ask. I suspect Vern wasn't really involved at Estes by then (even though he was there during the Damon time), and Mike Dorffler is gone. I suppose it's worth a shot to ask Bill Simon.....
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Wow! If there is anyone out there who is really trying seriously to collect all Alpha variants, they would be salivating (even more than I am right now) over that one.

When you find the open one, if you'd also scan the face card (and it's back if there is anything there) I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'd also be interested in any identifying number or date off the back of the bag (usually the lower RH corner).


I can do that.
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,190
Default

SEL has graciously sold and shipped to me the opened example of the kit with the Alpha III nose cone in it. The instructions (PN 89295G) do in fact show either the blow molded nose cone or an Alpha III nose cone and tiny screw eye throughout. So it would be perfectly legitimate to build a balsa-finned Alpha and put an Alpha III cone (at least the red one) on it and call it a 1989 Alpha (red/black livery) or 1990-1992 Alpha (red/blue livery). I never would have expected that.

This kit also answered another question I was trying to answer: did the big centering "cylinder" (big fat single ring) come before or along with the motor hook with the finger tab? Since this kit, both in the instructions and in the parts in the bag, has the original-style motor hook but the big fat ring (though it's not green (!)) I now know the fat ring came first.

Thanks, SEL!

SO......has anyone ever seen a BLUE Alpha III nose cone (or for that matter a blue blow-molded one)?

Attached is a quick picture of part of those instructions.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Image 5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  990.5 KB  
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 07-26-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
SEL has graciously sold and shipped to me the opened example of the kit with the Alpha III nose cone in it. The instructions (PN 89295G) do in fact show either the blow molded nose cone or an Alpha III nose cone and tiny screw eye throughout. So it would be perfectly legitimate to build a balsa-finned Alpha and put an Alpha III cone (at least the red one) on it and call it a 1989 Alpha (red/black livery) or 1990-1992 Alpha (red/blue livery). I never would have expected that.

This kit also answered another question I was trying to answer: did the big centering "cylinder" (big fat single ring) come before or along with the motor hook with the finger tab? Since this kit, both in the instructions and in the parts in the bag, has the original-style motor hook but the big fat ring (though it's not green (!)) I now know the fat ring came first.

Thanks, SEL!

SO......has anyone ever seen a BLUE Alpha III nose cone (or for that matter a blue blow-molded one)?

Attached is a quick picture of part of those instructions.....


You're very welcome.
I'd like to know as well if the Alpha ever came with a blue nose cone.
All the looking I did at the time never turned one up.
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM
ECayemberg ECayemberg is online now
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 101
Default

Wow, never knew the round tip, hollow cone would've/could've come with a 1225 Alpha! Huh....

Bernard, I think what you're doing is awesome; can't wait to see the results! I did a similar project a few years back. Though I don't have a Alpha III coned Alpha I....doh! Alpha Collection Link

I have since added a 1" longer tubed, PNC-60K coned Super Alpha...properly scaled up version of the 1225 Alpha.

-Eric-
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018